It was built as a symbol of shogunal power, but lasted for only the first 50 years of the Edo period.
The original tower was destroyed by fire in 1657, and was suppsoed to be rebuilt the following year. However, because the style of the tower was considered outdated, the decision was made to focus on the restoration of the castle's land. Only the stonework remains to this day.
In 1882, a meteorological observatory was set up atop the tower.
- addressWithin The East Gardens of the Imperial Palace
- accessTokyo Metro Otemachi Station or Takebashi Station
Now, access to some places in the East Gardens of the Imperial Palace is restricted because of the temporary works.Please confirm the places that are restricted with the homepage of Imperial Houshold Agency.